In May 2018, the PA Lottery debuted several instant win games on its website. The initial offering was very modest, just 11 games to start with, but that number has steadily increased as online gaming grows in popularity. Now you can enjoy dozens of instant games 24/7, and more on the way.
Although popular PA lottery games like Cash4Life, Powerball, PA Mega Millions and Pick 3 Pick 4 can be mistaken for instant win games, they are slightly different.
Instant games represent a middle ground between traditional lottery scratch cards and online slots, relying on simple automatic gameplay and incorporating interactive elements such as animated graphics, vivid sound effects and unlockable “bonus game” features. Let’s find out: below, we explore the different types of instant games available in PA and explain how you can have fun!
Getting Started with Pennsylvania Instant Games
Registering to participate in the online lottery is quite simple. There are only a few basic requirements for players to be eligible:
- You must be physically located in Pennsylvania. Unlike some other states offering online lottery games, such as Michigan, there are no residency requirements to participate. You only have to be within state lines during real money play, residents of other states who will be visiting PA can even test the demo versions of instant games to see what’s going on. ‘they prefer.
- You must be 18 or older. This is a standard lottery requirement, but an advantage over online casinos and sportsbooks in Pennsylvania which have a minimum age of 21.
- You cannot be closely related to a lottery official. This limitation will not affect many people, but it is necessary to protect the integrity of the system. Having a cousin who works for a lottery retailer is not disqualifying, but do not live with an immediate family member who is a high-level Pennsylvania Lottery employee or iLottery contractor.
Signing up is a simple process, all you need to do is sign up with basic contact information (name, address, date of birth, and gender), set a few security questions, and provide the last four digits of your SSN. The latter is a security check designed to verify and protect the identity of customers.
New registrations are eligible for $10 in iLottery Free Playas well as all usual benefits of the Pennsylvania Lottery VIP Players Club, such as second chance drawings on non-winning tickets and special offers.
Currently, you can place money in your online lottery account via:
- ACH Electronic Check Transfer (VIP Preferred)
- Visa/Mastercard credit and debit cards
- PA Lottery Play+ card
- iLottery WebCash: Buy a voucher from an online lotto retailer and your money will appear in your online account
Withdrawals are limited to ACH/eCheck, PayPal or PA Lottery Play+ cards. The minimum amount allowed for withdrawal is $10. Maximums vary by method.
Different types of PA instant games available
PA iLotto’s growing catalog of games can be divided into three categories.
- Reveal Games
- line games
- Collectible Style Games
This is the most traditional form of instant play, where symbols on a grid are hidden until play begins, and matching enough of certain symbols results in a prize. Reveal games are the dominant form of scratch card games in Pennsylvania.
Featured game: Foxin’ Wins Reveal
The Foxin’ Wins brand should be familiar to online slots enthusiasts, especially associated with Resorts Casino in neighboring New Jersey. This instant game – which features the same visual branding and character – is a simple standard 3×3 grid with 8 possible symbols to reveal. Matching three symbols from any outcome results in a predetermined prize. One of the symbols results in bonus games with increased prize values.
Other revelation games
- Volcano eruption revealed is the same game as Foxin’ Wins, but with different graphics. big foot has the same gameplay as Foxin’ Wins and Volcano Eruption, only you get 4 separate 3×3 grids on each ticket. This gives you multiple chances (although there is no chance of winning bonus games, so there are only 7 winning symbols). Yet, this translates to better chances of a winning ticket.
- Robin Hood is a 4×4 grid game with 10 winning symbols and offering different prize values resulting from matching 3 or 4 of a given symbol. The monster wins is pretty much the same as Robin Hood, just with a different design theme.
Slightly more complex winning mechanics than in reveal games, these tickets require the player to connect enough symbols, numbers or letters along a line to unlock the prize.
Featured game: Big Money Slingo
Another title from a popular online casino brand, this instant win variant of slingos presents a different graphic background depending on the value of the ticket. This game basically allows you six number draws to try and complete a traditional bingo card. Complete a row, column or diagonal to win a prize.
Other line games
- crossword species is a typical crossword type instant game where you are given 18 random letters to try to complete as many generated words as possible on a crossword game. Increasing prizes are awarded for the number of words completed.
- Cash in the lamp is a cross between an online game and a reveal game, where wins are awarded for matching three symbols in a row in any direction on a 5×5 grid. Additionally, uncovering three magic lamp symbols whichever either position or a red carpet unlocks a bonus game feature.
- ballroom bingo is an extremely traditional bingo game, even down to a voice calling out numbers when played at low speeds.
Collectible Style Games
Collector-style games are much more complicated than other instant games, and therefore they are no longer comparable to traditional scratch games. These games require multiple rounds of collecting symbol values or colors to fulfill a required number to win a prize. As these games are more interactive, they can be more satisfying to play, but also frustrating due to the difficulty of winning (and usually much slower than reveal games).
Featured game: Super Ca$hbuster
Super Cashbuster simulates the visual feel of a puzzle video game, with a grid of falling blocks that must be destroyed to collect colors.
On each of the seven rounds, you roll a colored die to determine which colored blocks in the bottom row (and any corresponding blocks touching them) are destroyed, dropping the top blocks to redo the grid for the next round.
Any blocks destroyed fill an inventory in an attempt to generate a prize, and some blocks unlock a mini-game or earn you a bonus dice roll.
Other collectible games
- great gems also appears designed as a falling block puzzle game, but there is only one chance to win as the entire board is replaced with each ticket. With each new grid, gems are destroyed if grouped into groups of five or more, with different prize values depending on the size and color of the group. Once the clusters are destroyed, the gems drop changing the board, generating another chance to win additional prizes. There are also two very satisfying bonus mini-games. Super Gems is the fastest and most accessible collectible game.
- Ca$hbuster Towers is another game in the Cashbuster franchise, except for the use of dice. The dice can reveal symbols which can be collected to trigger one of two mini-games or an instant prize.
- The big one eats little is a very unique collecting game, where you have to guide a fish around a 5×5 grid trying to eat prize symbols and smaller fish while avoiding being eaten by bigger fish. Three matching symbols win a prize, and eating other fish allows you to grow and increase the value of the prize.
The advantages of iLottery over scratch cards
While many instant games seem designed to exactly mimic standard scratch tickets digitally, there are several key differences to set them apart.
For one thing, even the most basic online instant games have enhanced quality of life features that make them more satisfying than retail tickets, such as party sounds and dopamine-triggering visual effects. This is a clear example of where instant game designers learned what worked best for online slots.
Similarly, even slightly more advanced games incorporate additional gameplay for certain types of wins, essentially integrating a more complex different type of game into a simpler game. In some cases, even a standard reveal game can unlock a spinning prize wheel or a single choice from a group of prize boxes, engaging the player in a way that a piece of card stock with an ink coating would. scratchable cannot.
These interactive elements are also necessary to counter what would otherwise be a mixed strength and weakness of instant games: ease of completion. Many games have a button to instantly complete the entire ticket within seconds of starting. This makes instant games much more convenient than retail tickets: not only do you not have to travel to the store to buy them, but you also do not have to spend more time with a penny to scratch every hidden number (and most importantly, you can’t mistake a winning ticket for a losing ticket and accidentally throw it away).
However, without the effects that slightly slow down the process (and sometimes require a response), it would be too easy for someone to quickly skim through their entire repository without paying attention.
Another interesting advantage of iLottery over traditional games is the demo functionwhich allows players to sample play money games and decide which gameplay suits them best.