Global Online Lottery Market to Reach $14.5 Billion by 2026
The global online lottery market, estimated at US$8.7 billion in 2020, is expected to reach a revised size of US$14.5 billion by 2026, growing at a CAGR of 8.7% over the analysis period.
The growth of the global market has exploded in recent years owing to multiple favorable factors such as advancement in technology, increasing digitalization, and increasing disposable income. The online lottery is poised to experience high demand due to the increasing transition to the online platform and the trend of gamification.
The growth of the market is also propelled by rising per capita income, increasing number of dual-income households, and growing interest and adoption from people. Online lottery game providers are investing in digitalization and advanced technology to exploit this lucrative opportunity. Various countries in Europe and Asia-Pacific have supported online sports lottery activities like football, golf, motor racing, soccer, baseball, basketball, boxing and hockey.
The support is expected to present new growth opportunities for the market. Another factor positively influencing the growth is the growing popularity of social media due to the massive penetration of smartphones and the internet. With fewer restrictions compared to conventional marketing approaches, social media has become a popular platform for product promotions and advertising for online lottery providers.
Draw-based online lottery games, one of the segments analyzed in the report, are expected to grow at a CAGR of 8.6% to reach US$7.8 billion by the end of the period analysis. After a thorough analysis of the business implications of the pandemic and its induced economic crisis, the growth of the online sports lotteries segment is readjusted to a revised CAGR of 9.1% for the next 7-year period.
The US market is estimated at $2.3 billion in 2021, while Asia-Pacific is expected to reach $4.1 billion by 2026
The online lottery market in the United States is estimated to be worth US$2.3 billion in 2021. The country currently accounts for a 23.7% share of the global market. Asia-Pacific is expected to reach an estimated market size of US$4.1 billion in 2026 growing at a CAGR of 10.1% over the analysis period. Other noteworthy geographic markets include Europe and Canada, each forecasting growth of 8.2% and 7.2% respectively over the analysis period. In Europe, Germany is expected to grow around 8.3% CAGR.
By Platform Type, Desktop Segment to Reach $7.5 Billion by 2026
The strong position of the desktop segment can be attributed to the wide display of content, the large screen and the quest to learn new technologies. In the global desktop segment (platform type), the United States, Canada and Europe will drive the estimated CAGR of 6.9% for this segment.
These regional markets representing a combined market size of US$2.7 billion in 2020 will reach a projected size of US$4.4 billion by the end of the analysis period. Led by countries such as Australia, India, and South Korea, the Asia-Pacific market is expected to reach US$2.2 billion by 2026, while Latin America will expand to a CAGR of 8.5% over the analysis period.
Main topics covered:
1. MARKET OVERVIEW
- Impact of COVID-19 on the global lottery industry
- Effect of the pandemic lockdown on the online lottery market
- The Massachusetts Lottery is at risk of becoming obsolete due to the COVID-19 pandemic
- The gaming industry: a prelude
- Lottery: a key segment of the gaming industry
- Online lottery: climbing to the top of innovation
- Global Market Outlook and Prospects: Online Lottery Market is Lucky and Expecting Incredible Growth
- Online lottery: Gut Punch for some and Perfect Heaven for revenue support for others
- Growing Importance of Online Lottery in the United States
- Factors Helping the Online Lottery Market Shift to Strong Gaming
- Main issues and challenges
- Adverse public opinion on gambling: a major issue affecting the outlook for the lottery industry
- Analysis by type of platform
- Regional analysis: Europe enjoys a frontline position in the global online lottery market
- Online lottery gains ground in US amid pandemic
- Increased sales of Michigan iLottery products in Michigan
- Probable ban on online lottery in Florida
- Competitive scenario
- Recent market activity
2. FOCUS ON CERTAIN PLAYERS (Total 58 featured)
- Limited Schedule
- Camelot Group
- International Game Technology PLC
- Lotto Agent
- Lotto Direct Ltd.
- Internet gambling in the UK
3. MARKET TRENDS AND DRIVERS
- Online Lottery Benefits: Galvanizing Massive Demand
- Online lottery emerges as favorite gambling pastime with lure of big jackpots
- Positive aspects of legalized gambling excite the online lottery market
- Market Outlook Strongly Influenced by Gaming Industry Trends
- Gambling apps contribute to the growing popularity of online lottery
- Changing Role of Cryptocurrency Drives Market Adoption
- Widespread availability of high-speed internet is driving market growth
- The smartphone emerges as a popular option for participating in the online lottery
- Increased focus on digitization bodes well
- Blockchain enables decentralized and transparent operations
- Big Data steps in to increase online lottery operations
- IoT emerges as a reliable tool to transform the online lottery market
- Virtual reality seeks a role in the online lottery field
- Issues and Challenges
- Regulatory focus on online gambling cripples momentum
- Gambling laws in some countries
- Nationwide bans discourage global expansion
- Cyberattacks: the red button problem
4. GLOBAL MARKET OUTLOOK
III. REGIONAL MARKET ANALYSIS